Agroforestry combines agriculture and forestry technologies to create more integrated, diverse, productive, profitable, healthy and sustainable land-use systems. Practices are focused on meeting the economic, environmental and social needs of people on their private lands. The forestry profession encompasses the science and practice of establishing, managing, using, and conserving forests, trees and associated resources in a sustainable manner to meet desired goals, needs, and values.
- USDA's Role in Agroforestry
- Interagency Agroforestry Team
- USDA National Agroforestry Center
- Agroforestry for Farms and Ranches
- NRCS National Forestry Manual
- Profitable Farms and Woodlands: A Practical Guide to Agroforestry for Landowners, Farmers and Ranchers (PDF, 3.8 MB)
Forest Research and Development
Forest Service Research and Development scientists carry out basic and applied research to study the biological, physical, and social sciences related to our diverse forests and rangelands.
- Forest Research Programs
- Forest Inventory and Analysis
- Forest Information and Publication Center
- Special Forest Programs
- Forest Service Resource Assessment
- Tree Search
- Forest Management Service Center
- NIFA Forests Programs
- Urban forestry analysis and benefits assessment tools
Healthy Forests Initiative
The Healthy Forests Initiative focuses on reducing the risk of catastrophic fire by thinning dense undergrowth and brush in priority locations that are on a collaborative basis with selected Federal, state, tribal, and local officials and communities. The initiative also provides for more timely responses to disease and insect infestations that threaten to devastate forests.
- Healthy Forests Initiative
- Healthy Forests Initiative and Healthy Forests Restoration Act Interim Field Guide
- Healthy Forests Reserve Program
Landowner Assistance Programs
USDA provides several landowner assistance programs and partnerships to assist private landowners and rural communities care for their forests, strengthen local economies, and maintain a high quality of life.